On our way to the beach for the 4th, Graham and I started talking about a date night. We knew we were coming home on a Thursday, so I mentioned to him that maybe we could see if my parents could keep the kids so we could go out Friday night. Graham looked at me and said, "Maybe I already asked them to keep the kids!" We kind of left it at that and went on to enjoy our time at the beach. On our way home he confirmed that he did indeed have my parents scheduled to watch the kids and that we would be going out Friday night. He told me it was a surprise and suggested I wear a summer dress.
We are about to leave to drop the kids off and Graham suggests that I go on in my car and he will follow me in his car. He likes to take his car on dates because it's smaller and not full of car seats. So, thinking something was a little fishy, I took off to my parents as requested. We got the kids inside and ready for dinner with Mamaw and Papaw and Graham and I headed out. Once in the car I looked at him and said, "I just have one question. Are we coming home tonight or tomorrow?" He said tomorrow with a big grin and began to tell me about our getaway.
He booked a room at a Bed & Breakfast about an hour and a half out of town just over the Tennessee line. Dinner reservations were set for 7:30 at the High Point restaurant. I was thrilled. Although we had a great time at the beach with the family, it felt like it had been a while since we had some time alone. This was the perfect remedy. We didn't really know what to expect since Graham didn't know anything about the place we were going. He took a chance and it was a success. We pulled up to a beautiful B&B surrounded by beautiful trees and a garden where they pick their vegetables and herbs to cook with.
We checked in, (Graham had packed everything I could possibly need for the trip) took a tour of the Inn and went to dinner. We took our time eating a delicious dinner and just talking. High Point had the look of an old stone cottage somewhere in England. It felt like we were much further away then a little town in Tennessee. After returning to the Inn, we grabbed a blanket and headed out to one of the three hammocks hanging under this huge tree. We laid there watching the heat lightning and talked for another two hours. It was the perfect night. We enjoyed breakfast at the B&B the next morning and a nice leisurely stroll through the near by campus of Sewanee University. We stopped off to a fun bbq place for lunch and then went home to get the kids. It was a fantastic getaway. There was no occasion, no celebration, just the desire to be away for just under 24 hours alone. It was perfect!
This is the B&B. Unfortunately I was in all the pics of the place!
Graham trying out the hammocks for later!
The wonderful front porch.
Loved this red spiral stair case in the great room.
High Point restaurant. It's an old house that Al Capone once used.
Neat story on their website. highpointrestaurant.net
Us at dinner. We sat next to an old wooden door that I
would love to take home and put on my house!
3 comments:
I'm so glad you took pictures and had such a great time. Graham...I'm way proud of you on this one!
Haha does that mean you're not proud of me at other times?? (surely not)
1. so glad you updated
2. you are gorgeous!
3. such a fun weekend surprise!
Post a Comment