Last year my sister made me a beautiful pine cone wreath for my birthday to hang on my front door. I pulled it out again this year in early October and hung it back on my door. Well, sometime in the last couple of months, a bird decided to take up residence in my wreath. I didn't realize this until we had some friends over one night and as soon as we opened the door for them, the bird went flying out of the wreath right passed their faces giving them a bit of a scare. This has happened several times since then (which I secretly find a bit amusing). I figured no harm no foul, so I left the wreath on the door and didn't evict our little bird from his home...until last night that is. You see, sometime around 7:00 p.m., Graham opened the front door to get something off the porch. As soon as the door pulled open, the bird swiftly flew into our house making sure to poop on the kitchen floor right away. He (in the generic sense, I don't know if it was a he or she) anyway, he landed first on the chandelier above the kitchen table. He then kept bumping up against the overhead light in the main part of the kitchen. He seemed to be drawn to light, so I quickly began turning off all the lights in the house in an effort to lure him back to the front porch light. Clayton is LOVING this by the way. The bird then flew into the dining room getting temporarily trapped in the blinds. I'm trying to take a picture at this point but he keeps fluttering against the blinds which makes me squeal and I back away. So, at this point all the lights are turned off downstairs and the front door is open. The bird escapes the blinds and instead of heading out the door, he goes straight up the stairs and into Clayton's bedroom. There is a great deal of laughter and "Holy Cow's" coming out of us at this point. Ann Wilson is hanging out in the dark living room in her swing totally oblivious to the adventure taking place elsewhere. So, Graham, Clayton and I head up the stairs. I keep telling Clayton to stay out of the way but there was no way he was missing out on the fun. We run into Clayton's room to find this....
Before we think to shut the other bedroom doors, the bird flies out of Clayton's room and into Ann Wilson's room, landing on the top of the window to get a good look.
We now think to shut all the other bedroom doors. Graham grabs a t-shirt and is going to attempt to gently trap the bird in the shirt and take him outside. I run downstairs and open the front door. The bird is now hopping around on the stairs and Graham is just about to throw the t-shirt on him when he suddenly takes flight and zooms right out the front door! I slam the door shut and we all erupt in cheers. Shortly there after I removed the wreath from the front door so as to prevent future visits from the bird. Unfortunately after removing the wreath, I discovered large amounts of bird doo doo on my front door. Yuck! Anyways, who knew I would be so skittish of a bird, but I did a lot of squealing. I sincerely hope the bird was able to find a new home. The wreath is propped against the post on the front porch, so for all I know the bird may have returned to the wreath. Anyways, props to the bird for embarking on such a bold adventure into our home. I hope you have many more exciting moments ahead dear bird!
Thursday, January 7, 2010
The Adventures of a Bird
Posted by The Burgess Family at 9:17 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
great story! thanks for sharing it... it makes me laugh just trying to picture it...
I am laughing particularly hard because that has happened to me. Although my bird hid to scare me. My bird was devious.
Hilarious!! The same thing happened to us one year as we were bringing our Christmas tree into the house. Our bird had made it's home in our Jackson vine. Tate was tiny at the time and kept saying, "Where's the burd???". Makes you feel like you are living Christmas Vacation:)
Post a Comment